Friday, November 11, 2016

Finish it up Friday - Two Tiny Finishes!


Today I'm linking to Crazy Mum Quilts for "Finish it up Friday" with two small projects I stitched this week.

Firstly .....

Finish size: 4" x 3"

I'd been trying to think of a way of keeping my lipstick safe when I 'm not carrying a handbag, and then I found a great blog (via Pinterest) .... "Dog Under My Desk" by Erin Ericson, which had the ideal thing ... an easy zippy pouch tutorial.

I made my pouch in two evenings. First evening I quilted the fabric and the next I was ready to put it all together.

I'm really pleased how it turned out, it's light, and at 4" x 3" ... tiny ..... just right to hold a lipstick and maybe a few peppermints!

**********

Then, secondly .....

Later in the week I needed a hostess gift for a neighbour, and made this tissue holder using a tutorial I've  previously used here from Whim Wham.

Whilst making the tissue holder I took a few pictures to remind myself how I made it .... in case I want to make another one in a hurry! Unfortunately, my photos are rather dark as I was stitching in the evening!



Position the handle, and ....

... stitch into place


To ensure the centre stayed central when I stitched across the seam, I stitched each half separately, and then again across the two sides together.





The pin marks the centre ... fold edge just past pin.

Remembering to put one bound edge over the other,
before stitching

Stitch to edge. With needle in the fabric, lift presser foot,
turn fabric 180 degrees,  continue stitching for approx 1"
 before finishing, and cutting off thread.

Make sure the handle is securely stitched!

Finish with a scant 1/4" seam

Stitch over the seam a couple of times.

Trim ends, before turning inside out.....

Push seams out, pin, and stitch 1/4" seams at either end
of holder - again a couple of rows of stitches to be secure.

Turn through to the right side, and its finished!

**********

I'm so excited, before I go, I must tell you why!

Last Saturday I went to a wonderful quilt show, locally, and bought some raffle tickets .... like you do! .... and this Tuesday I had a phone call to say I'd won a quilt!!! This morning a very nice lady was actually good enough to deliver it to me ..... I have to say I was speechless - well almost! I'm amazed, I can't believe it wasn't the first prize, its so beautiful and very large. The work is really intricate and skillfully done ... and all hand quilted!

I didn't have time for photos today, but I will post pictures next time. Just wait till you see it!


Hope you've had a stitchy week!



Hugs,
Barbara xxx

16 comments:

Turid said...

So sweet and tiny. I will make one of those soon. Thanks for the tuto.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Can't imagine making a pouch that teeny tiny - good for you! Now I'm going to be compulsively checking your blog to see when the pictures go up to show the quilt you won. Can't wait to see it!! Congratulations!!!!

Pamela said...

Great finishes and good ideas for gifts! I look forward to seeing the quilt. Congrates on winning!

Christine B said...

Beautiful Friday finishes Barbara! Love both of your little pouches! What a lucky girl winning a quilt.... can't wait to see it! Have a lovely weekend! Christine x

KimM said...

Wonderful finishes.....and WOWEE! Can hardly wait for pictures of your win!!
xxx

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Both of these would be PERFECT hostess gifts. Much better than the box of candy I just bought, lol. Also good to keep a couple on hand for the unexpected Christmas visitor. Thanks for sharing the links.
xx, Carol

Lin said...

Congratulations on your win! Two nice little finishes - two practical mini presents, thanks for the ideas. xx

Bea said...

Congratulations on winning the quilt. Definitely looking forward to the pictures. Lovely finishes and what a wonderful idea for a hostess gift.

Queeniepatch said...

You lucky girl! looking forward to the pictures of your new quilt.
Making small items is very rewarding as they are completed swiftly.
Good idea to take step-by-step photos for future reference.

Chris of UK City Crafter said...

Lucky you, I look forward to seeing it. I thought your zippy lippy pouch would make a great little pressie with some lippy inside.

ukcitycrafteratlive.co.uk

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Oh well done on your win, it's lovely when a quilt goes to someone who really appreciates it. I like your pouch and tissue holder, they make lovely stocking fillers.
Smiles
Kate

Justine said...

Two perfect finishes Barbara - you're so clever! Congratulations on your win, can't wait to see it.

Mii Stitch said...

Congrats on your win Barbara and also on your cute little finishes :)
You're brave venturing with zips on such small projects :) A great success, they look lovely

Paula Louceiro said...

Hi Barbara, it's a great idea to use the little zippy poucch to kepp the lipstick safe in a purse.
And what a great new. I can't wait to see the quilt.
Have a nice week

Sheryl said...

Congrats on the quilt win. Love the two pretty and very useful pieces you have made, great finishes.

Brigitte said...

These little pouches are so cool. Beautifully stitched.
Can't wait to see the quilt that you won.